Saint Patrick's Parish will be celebrating
its 40th anniversary as a Parish this year!
«After years of waiting, English-speaking
Roman Catholics of Kapuskasing today have their own Church,
Saint Patrick's on Cedar Street, Northfield, which is just getting
the finishing touches this week. The Rev. Jean-Paul Laurin,
Saint Patrick's first priest, celebrated first Masses last Sunday...»
If you paid your nickel for the Thursday, July 19th, 1956,
edition of THE NORTHERN TRIBUNE, this is what you would have
read on the front page.
to one of our founders, Frederick Campling, in a letter sent
to Fr. Sébastien last year... «Father Laurin was
sent to Kapuskasing as a missionary priest to start a new parish
that was to serve the English-speaking community and all other
ethnic groups that had ties to the Roman Catholic Church. At
that time Immaculate Conception Church was operated by the Oblates.
They allowed a small chapel to be established in the basement
of their church for the use of the unnamed parish. This was
in 1953. Early in 1955 the decision to build a church on property
donated by Spruce Falls was made and Wally Finley and myself
were part of a committee to build a new church. We spent the
spring, helped by a number of other engineers at Spruce Falls,
drawing the plans and specifications for the building. George
Knowles was awarded the contract after competitive bids... In
1954 a meeting was held to pick a name for the church. A lot
of people, including Father Laurin, thought it would be St.
George's. However people thought that was too English and Mrs.
McSweeney proposed Saint Patrick's, and most people related
favourably to this name. Father Laurin told me years later that
he had sent back Saint George's relics and exchanged them for
is how we began, and now after 40 years, we have enjoyed the
leadership of Father Jean-Paul Laurin, Father Grégoire
Desfossés, Father Gilles Gosselin, Father Lucien Bouillon,
Father Sébastien Groleau, and we presently have Father
Léo Papineau with us. Our parish has undergone many changes
over the years. We have changed from one altar to two tables
and 6 devoted lay persons have studied and dedicated many hours
to the Lay Presider program in our parish. One of the changes
that would be apparent to the entire Diocese was the addition
of the Frank J. Selke Memorial Resource Centre, the primary
English resource centre of the Diocese. Although it is an independent
organization, our parish is fortunate enough to enjoy its benefits
in a special way because of its location.
the past year we have undergone a major renovation in our parish
hall kitchen. Under the expert workmanship and guidance of Gord
Price, a team of dedicated parishioners have transformed our
kitchen into quite a lovely culinary workplace! What's in store
ahead? With the caring atmosphere we have developed over the
past 40 years we look forward to a bright future as we remain
A Family in the Hand of God.
Inter-Par: 03 - 31 - 1996